Hannah’s Story

April 7th, 2009 by | Tags: , , , , , , , | 13 Comments »

Rachel and I met Hannah at Cochlear™ Celebration 2009, and were instantly captivated by her adorable and sweet nature.  She is such a cutie, and also a wonderful example of how cochlear implants, coupled with listening and spoken language education and lots of parental involvement, can lead to some pretty exceptional results!  Hannah learned to hear and speak at Central Institute for the Deaf and is now in a mainstream first grade classroom.  Like any other little girl, she loves listening to music, like Hannah Montana, High School Musical, and the Jonas Brothers.  What an incredible blessing it is for a profoundly deaf little girl to be able to chat about her favorite songs that she can hear with the help of her “cochlears”!  She is also a prime example of the maxim of “ALL WAKING HOURS!” As Hannah says, she wears her “cochlears” all day long so that she can hear her teacher, and everything else the world has to offer. By wearing her CIs all waking hours, Hannah is growing her listening and spoken language skills every day! See (and hear!) for yourself!

HANNAH’S STORY

Thank you to Hannah and her parents for sharing their story with us!

Written by

Elizabeth Rosenzweig MS CCC-SLP LSLS Cert. AVT is a Listening and Spoken Language Specialist Certified Auditory Verbal Therapist. She provides auditory verbal therapy, aural rehabilitation, IEP advocacy, consultation, and LSLS mentoring for clients around the world via teletherapy. You can learn more about Elizabeth's services on her Website or Facebook.

Ann Holmes

April 7, 2009 at 3:48 pm

I was Hannah’s toddler class teacher. It is wonderful to see how far Hannah has progressed since her early days with her new cochlear implants. She has made amazing strides which I attribute to her dedication to learning to listen and talk, to her parents’ dedication to getting Hannah to school each day and encouraging her to wear her implants consistently, and to the dedicated staff at CID. All of these aspects combined make for an oral communication success story.

Ann Holmes, M.S., CED
Central Institute for the Deaf
St. Louis, MO
314-977-0000

Donna Soriano

April 23, 2009 at 8:05 am

thank you for sharing hannah stories. It’s inspired me, I would like to share it also to my hard hearing students that through cochlear implant they can hear and speak

June 5, 2009 at 7:27 am

Hi there ,
congratulation ,mind blowing ,superb ,
Dear Sir,Madam,
I am here as general consultant .I am really requesting to you all that kindly send me these and other dvds cds printed material to my postal address for the awareness development .
I am working hear for a massive strength of hearing impaired children as 1500 plus are our students so that in the parents work shop and seminars I would like to share development for which I need your help
kindly send me every educational ,for auditory verbal therapy, and all latest info to my postal address are as under:
Syed Naushad shaukat
E 38 CAA COLONY KARACHI SIND
PAKISTAN
KARACHI AIRPORT
PAKISTAN
9203142223405
03442987991
920214577549

Lastly we are working her without discrimination of colour cast creed and religion as lots of christians,hindus others are also our students. \my duty is to develop educational resources by all means
so share for this noble cause.
\thank you

June 5, 2009 at 7:32 am

The results of cochlear implantation is out standing .The beautiful innocent girl speaks so well.
seems to be miracle .
send me leaflets,broushers cds dvds for the parents and teachers in our deaf school
Syed Naushad shaukat
Dewa school for the deaf
st 9 motimahal gulshan e iqbal karachi
sind pakistan
92 03142223405
92 03442987991

August 3, 2009 at 2:51 pm

Hannah speaks beautifully and I really enjoyed the video. It was very inspirational. My granddaughter had her cochlear implant December 2008. She just turned 2 and, although she can hear, she hasn’t really spoken except for a few sounds like woof and moo.

We don’t have a school such as CID in Connecticut and would love to know any ideas for teaching her speech.

Thank you.

selina sandy seau

August 18, 2009 at 1:07 am

hi hannah,im writting to let you know i really like your programme.im deaf too and im hard of hearing.but i can speak well like you.also iam not using any hearing aids.I only teach myself to read lips as well.since i was 15 yrs old.and Iam using now for 15yrs communicate with my family and friends.youre really lucky to have cochlear on.and i hope to meet you oneday.im a fijian young lady and am living in fiji island.my country is beautyful than florida.if you see it in your sight you;l think you a in paradise.im sorry to take my story so long.ok hannah thank you for taking your time to read my letter.once more,keep up the good training for you to sky the limit.bye hope to hear from you soon.

ana santos

September 10, 2009 at 11:46 pm

My granddaughter just got her cocklear in Dec. 2008 after much we were told she was not a candidate for years,, she is now 15 and trying to learn to speak which is very difficult since she started so late, but I have hope–she has a talent she got from my brother which is she can draw beautifully, but we cannot find a school in our area who teach deaf children and at this point she is telling us she wants to go into the fashion industry and is drawing models with beautiful gowns and we do not know how to encourage her if we can’t locate a place for her, please help with any info, it will be appreciated. We live in Careteret NJ….

ana santos

September 10, 2009 at 11:47 pm

this is Ana again–my email is atsantos82@yahoo.com

Judy

April 30, 2010 at 9:56 am

Too bad the interviewer didn’t put the mic under the kids chin instead of her own. I could only hear the interviewer voice. The child’s voice sounded far away.

May 3, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Sorry for the audio quality, Judy! The video recorder I use is fantastic and tiny, but the one flaw is that the mic faces backward (toward the person taping) vs. forward (toward the subject). Hopefully the captions helped you understand what Hannah was saying!

Ryan Butt

May 7, 2010 at 3:18 pm

My Mother 54 years old is by birth deaf & my young brother 19 years old is also by birth deaf.

My father passed away 3 years ago he was not deaf.

I’m 24 years old but I’m not deaf like my mother & brother.

How much Cochlear Implant costs in Pakistan? You have any idea?
And how much it costs in your country?

Plz do respond, i want my brother & mother to hear the sounds & music around them.

My contact:
email: RyanButt@msn.com
phone: +92 344 2224444

Post Mail:
D-3129, Street Pir Sherazi, Chowk Mati,
Naya Bazar, Inside Lohari Gate,
Lahore-54000
Punjab
Pakistan

waiting for your response.

March 2, 2011 at 1:37 pm