Jeremy’s Story

June 22nd, 2009 by | Tags: , , , , | 10 Comments »

This past weekend, my mom and I were privileged to meet Lydia, the guru for creating the most incredible CICircle website, and her son, Jeremy, in Boston.  Jeremy was delighted to be interviewed for this website!

Lydia shared her story about Jeremy’s journey to the hearing world:

Jeremy’s severe-profound hearing loss was discovered when he was 13 months old.  He started using hearing aids and his family started to use total communication with SEE sign and spoken English.  When it became clearer that Jeremy’s ability to understand speech alone was limited, his parents sought a cochlear implant for him and gradually switched communication modes to emphasize spoken language.  Jeremy received his first implant at age 4 and his second in his other ear at age 8.  He has been in a mainstream school since 1st grade and will start 6th grade in the fall of 2009.  He still remember a little sign language but only signs when his mouth is full at dinner.

Lydia

June 23, 2009 at 6:29 am

Thank you Rachel and Jeremy — great interview! (And thanks also for the plug for http://www.cicircle.org )

Lydia

June 23, 2009 at 6:40 am

P.S. I think I can see the famous Citgo sign! Good spot!

jodi

June 23, 2009 at 3:29 pm

Love that boy, he is so smart- just like his Mom. I was not surprised when he said his favorite subject is SCIENCE!!!! Rachel…keep ‘em comin’ girl- you are AMAZING!!! Lydia- hats off to you – whatta cutie!!
Jodi

Andrea

June 23, 2009 at 3:43 pm

I was just catching up of some cicircle emails and came across this great interview. Rachel did a great job and so did Jeremy!!

Rhonda

June 23, 2009 at 5:44 pm

Wow, Jeremy. You did great! Someday hopefully we can get you and Neal together since you seem to like so many of the same things.

Natalie

June 24, 2009 at 8:23 am

What a wonderful interview!! Thanks so much for sharing. Jeremy and Rachel – you are both amazing!!!

June 24, 2009 at 12:52 pm

did you see his face light up when she asked about school? are you kidding? he is so precious!! way to go J and R !! and Lydia too!

Deaf Person

June 25, 2009 at 7:45 am

Thank you for all the videos. It is an ecouragement seeing what my son can do with his CI as well as his developing speaking and listening skills. He is showing a lot of growth in only 2 months with his CI – I am thrilled. Although he will still use sign language due to his deaf parents and some deaf friends, he will have the best of both worlds!

Deaf Person

June 25, 2009 at 7:46 am

Oh, I was pleased that Jeremy said that he likes science. I am a middle school science teacher!

July 2, 2009 at 2:10 pm

Thanks for that video.
Great to have a peek in Lottes future…