June 7th, 2009 by Rachel | Tags: Advanced Bionics, AGBell, AVT, Cochlear Implant, Cochlear™, Listserv, MED-EL, New Parents, Oral Education, Spoken Language | 11 Comments »
The internet is such a powerful tool – sometimes too powerful as the amount of information can overwhelm us! Not only does it provide us with a wealth of information, but also a wealth of support in many ways, such as joining listservs, Facebook groups, and message boards. In the cochlear implant community, online support groups are certainly a huge part of our lives and are often treated like our bible. People in many of these online support groups give us incredible friendships throughout the world – I have met a few of the people whom I met through online support groups in person, such as Naomi, Jodi, and Robyn. Support groups can even also provide us incredible urgent care – for instance, a parent on one listserv wrote an urgent message saying that she was out of town with her child who uses a cochlear implant, and she forgot her battery charger for her child’s implant battery. Several parents, who happened to be located near the mother, popped up and said, “We have a battery charger that you can use! Come on over please!”
I compiled a list of a variety of online support groups for parents of children with cochlear implant, cochlear implant users, Cochlear™ users, Advanced Bionic Users, MED-EL users, Auditory-Verbal parents, professionals, etc.
- Nucleus® Forum
- Better Hearing News
- Giving Deaf Children a Voice – The Hearing House
- Graduate Studies Program in Auditory Learning & Spoken Language
- Auditory-Verbal Communication Center
- The Carol Flexer Fan Club
- Cochlear Awareness Network
- We’ve got a Cochlear Implant n love it!
- HearingExchange Teens
- Cochlear Implant Users
- The Warren Estabrooks Fan Club
- Cochlear Implant Experiences
- Alexander Graham Bell Association for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
- Cochlear Implant is the best thing EVER!
- Advanced Bionics
- Hearing Loss Association of America
- ALDA Facebook
- The American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
- Deafness Forum of Australia
- Parents of Children with Cochlear Implants